October 26, 2022

All Hallows Eve...

... Midnight Fires in the Forest.

I spent today walking along an old bridge long forgotten by a world speeding by. Part of a short Road trip with KaiMei of the Midwest & to connect with the Lincoln Highway. 


Old Highway Bridge along Lincoln Highway, Calamus, IA - ©2022 RBK

 Separate from the main road, this bridge was once part of the collective efforts of a nation to connect the East and West. Well before the gloried Route 66 route was even conceived.

Spending nights in mid-star hotels with someone you've been so close & private with - you would take us for married of many years. Yet we are simply an Ex-Couple that has made love and sex complicated. Yet the feelings of companionship and trust are simple. We slept in the same bed, saw each other dress, and it was the closeness my soul needed with someone so a part of my life and existence.

Our trip will be finished by morning when we arrive in Arkansas again, but I could stay on the road forever. A modern-day Bonnie and Clyde robbing moments of beauty within life, then on the run to the next job. Yet with such a rag-tag pairing as us. Only once did we feel the aura of the cheap motorway motel beckoning us to stain the sheets as many are guaranteed to have done. Tearing the thin cheap 1-star fabrics and putting claw marks into a plastic preform shower unit with impossible-to-clean calcium scale upon its plastic windowed doors.

The bulk of our trip was as many friends trying to escape the world have. Getting personal photos of happenstance moments and finds. Eating foods from salt-of-the-earth people's establishments, where Coca-Cola is still king & lard or butter is never in short supply. The sights, the music we played, and laughs at anything random to catch our eye as we drove down old roads.

Hallows Eve will be this weekend, and I have no desire to dress up. I will likely stay at my friend's house for the weekend, passing candy to the children who visit before the planned bonfire late at night. KaiMei and his sister are very ingrained in Hallows Eve and Day. It is a different feeling when the holiday is treated with a dark reverence to be celebrated beyond masks, horror movies, and candy.

For the few who may ask, my mental health is not reborn a new - but it heals slowly. This trip has helped take my mind off the endless worries of life and myself. To focus on me, the now, and to keep my eye on my happiness. Good company does that to you when in close quarters with someone who've known far too long.

My suggestion to my lovelies who read this digital bastion is, Take time to escape the world and relax. Make your life instantaneous for the moment, preferably with someone who is your safe space. Life is too short and never pauses for our stress or petty feelings, no matter how justified they feel. Let's escape the endless stare of anger and disdain for time with those we trust most.

Also, Happy All Hallows to all my darlings. 😘


No comments:

Post a Comment